POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Most up to date landscape generator ? : Re: Most up to date landscape generator ? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:17:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most up to date landscape generator ?
From: Mr
Date: 14 Feb 2010 18:20:00
Message: <web.4b78843993a56a007b7aad0a0@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

> > Hello, to all, I'm browsing and searching for free solutions to generate
> > landscapes, preferably easy to use. I currently found:
> > -Genesis Toolkit
> > http://www.schrammel.org/genesis.php?l=en
> It looks like the last version dates back to 1998.
>
> > -tierra project
> > http://www.schrammel.org/genesis.php?l=en
> Wrong url...
> >

> > For the trees:
> > -Tom Tree
> > http://www.aust-manufaktur.de/austt.html
> >

> > Is there anything else really uefull?
> >

> Tom trees is arguably one of the best tree maker you can find. Great to
> crate individual trees.
>
> For the terrains, you can try Terragen. Both versions, 1 and 2, are free
> for personal, non-comercial, use. You can get it here:
> http://www.planetside.co.uk
>

> Alain

Thanks for answering, and sorry about the wrong link: Project Tierra is indeed
at:
http://www.ignorancia.org/en/index.php?page=Project_Tierra

By "arguably[...]individual trees" do you mean that they will be too heavy for
big forests? and should be complemented with another software for background
trees? any idea which one?

Arbaro seemed good but doesn't generate textures.

about the terrain, I searched for European DEM (Digital Elevation Models)  files
and the best site I could find so far was this:

http://geoengine.nima.mil/geospatial/SW_TOOLS/NIMAMUSE/webinter/rast_roam.html
If using DEM alone isn't precise enough, I might tweak it with Blender sculpt
tools and generate the heightfield out of that. But I would love to have a more
procedural approach.

About Terragen, I'm trying to stay in the free for commercial use realm, if I
can first. Geomorph seemed good for that but has no windows version.

I forgot to mention, Plant Studio for smaller plants:
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/PlantStudio/